Learn more about The Team at Tutunjian & Bitetto, P.C.
Photo Credit – Larchmont Manor Park, Long Island, NY
Mr. Tutunjian specializes in Intellectual Property, with a primary focus on domestic and foreign Patent and Trademark prosecution and Patent and Trademark disputes. With over 25+ years as an attorney, coupled with his experience as a business owner, Mr. Tutunjian has a unique personal approach to his clients and their needs. This approach has not only resulted in many success stories, it has translated into client relationships that span his entire career. Mr. Tutunjian is well versed and experienced at counseling his clients in all aspects of their Intellectual Property needs, including, for example, litigation matters, clearance opinions, brand development and enforcement and the management and maintenance of worldwide Intellectual Property portfolios.
Admitted to New York Bar, January 1994
Registered to Practice with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, May 1995
United States District Court, EDNY, April 2013
J.D. – ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, 1993
- Member of law school social committee – responsible for planning student events
B.E.E. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING – THE CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF AMERICA, 1989
- Design team leader for Detector of EMF waves that affect pacemaker operation
- Antenna design team head for wireless computer communication system
LAW EXPERIENCE & TECHNOLOGY AREAS:
- Complex Domestic and Foreign patent prosecution and counseling in all aspects of electronics, electro-chemical, electro-mechanical and mechanical arts. Mr. Tutunjian is well versed in many different technology areas ranging from complex electronics, including semiconductor circuit design and fabrication to mechanical systems and devices.
- Design Patent Prosecution
- Domestic and Foreign Trademark prosecution
- Domestic and Foreign Trademark disputes, including U.S. TTAB Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
- Brand Development and Enforcement
- Opinion work, such as Patent infringement and Validity studies and opinions; Trademark clearances
- Litigation counseling and support
- Licensing negotiations and agreements
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), Member, U.S. Patent Practice Committee
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), Member Anti-Counterfeiting Committee
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), Member, Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member
James J. Bitetto
Mr. Bitetto practices in all areas of intellectual property law. Having degrees in Mechanical Engineering and in Electronics, Mr. Bitetto handles patent matters in a wide variety of technology areas for clients that range from larger high-tech companies to smaller businesses and organizations. Coupled with his experience as a research and design engineer at Bell Laboratories, Mr. Bitetto has a firm grasp of the inventive process and communicates well with inventors at all levels of difficulty. Being an inventor, Mr. Bitetto understands the importance and the satisfaction of holding U.S. patents. Mr. Bitetto has extensive experience in client counseling in all areas of intellectual property law: patent application drafting and prosecution; litigation; opinion work; appeals; trademark application filing and prosecution; oppositions/cancellations; copyright filing and prosecution and related matters. Mr. Bitetto is a registered patent attorney, is a professional engineer and is admitted to practice law in New York, New Jersey and in the Federal Courts.
Admitted to the bar in: New Jersey, 1994; New York, 1995; Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Admitted to practice before the Federal District Courts in NY and NJ.
J.D. ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, CUM LAUDE, 1994
- International Law Review
M.S. ELECTRONICS & ELECTRONIC MATERIALS, STEVEN’S INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, SUMMA CUM LAUDE, 1997
- Award: Morton M. Traum Award for Excellence in Courses Related to Materials Science
B.E. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING, MANHATTAN COLLEGE, SUMMA CUM LAUDE, 1989
- Awards: Excellence in Engineering Medal, Excellence in Mechanical Engineering Medal
- Presidential Scholarship
LAW EXPERIENCE & TECHNOLOGY AREAS:
Complex patent prosecution and counseling in fields of: semiconductor devices, solar technology, nuclear technology, memory devices, electronics, chip layout and fabrication, nanotechnology, optical recording, bioelectrical devices, ultrasound technology, digital signal processing, fluid flow systems, computer systems, speech recognition/synthesis systems, opto-electronics, e-commerce, document management, computer software, computer architecture, medical imaging, medical devices, imaging and display technology including liquid crystal displays, flexible displays, CRTs, television, mechanical systems, green technology, telecommunications including cellular technology, textiles, mechanical devices and systems, etc.
Design patent prosecution and litigation. Trademark prosecution and litigation. Copyright prosecution and litigation.
Counseling and related opinion work, including expert opinions, litigation, litigation counseling and support in all areas of intellectual property.
Member of Technical Staff (R&D Engineer), AT&T Bell Laboratories/Lucent Technologies Bell Laboratories (8.5 years), designed: optical communications systems, fiber optics, active noise/vibration canceling systems, undersea cabling, control systems, undersea vehicles, plastic molding, mechanical and electrical systems, manufacturing tools, environmental tests of equipment, circuit wiring, cabinet design, piezoelectric devices, etc.
Licensed Professional Engineer – State of New York (Inactive)
- Eastern New York Intellectual Property Law Association, Former President
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Steven’s Alumni Association, Former President
- U.S. Patent No. 6,116,818, Underwater plow apparatus and method
- U.S. Patent No. 6,975,308, Digital picture display frame
- U.S. Patent No. 8,256,900, Method and apparatus for projecting image patterns and colors for planning an interior improvement project
- U.S. Patent No. 9,911,527, Electromagnetic safety device
Ms. Paik is a registered patent attorney and senior associate at Tutunjian & Bitetto, P.C., where she brings over 17 years of experience in the field of Intellectual Property law. Ms. Paik’s practice is concentrated in utility and design patent prosecution, as well as the preparation and prosecution of trademark applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). With a specialty in comprehensive intellectual property prosecution, Ms. Paik handles all aspects of patent and trademark prosecution as well as disputes administered by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). Ms. Paik also advises clients in patent, trademark and copyright infringement matters, including providing infringement analyses, written opinions, handling cease and desists, negotiating settlement and licensing agreements and representing clients in trademark Opposition and Cancellation Actions before the TTAB.
Additionally, Ms. Paik handles all aspects of international patent and trademark prosecution. This includes international patent prosecution through the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) and its two phases (the PCT international phase and the PCT national stage), the filing of Madrid Protocol international trademark applications via the USPTO, as well as handling and coordinating trademark prosecution abroad with a network of foreign associates. Ms. Paik also works closely with foreign intellectual property law firms to file and prosecute their client’s patent and trademark applications in the United States.
Admitted to bar, New York, 1999
Registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2000.
Admitted to U.S. District Court (Eastern District of New York and Southern District of New York), 2011.
J.D., 1998 – TEMPLE UNIVERSITY, JAMES E. BEASLEY SCHOOL OF LAW
- Dean’s Honor List Spring 1997; Placed 5th out of 26 teams in 1996 ABA Negotiation Competition at Temple Law
- Steering Committee Co-Founder/Coordinator/Performer for Temple Law Performing Arts Guild
B.A., 1995, BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES – RUTGERS COLLEGE, THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW JERSEY-NEW BRUNSWICK
- Dean’s List Fall 1991, Spring 1992; Awarded General Honors Scholarship 1991-1992
- Completed Rutgers College Honors Seminar Curriculum: 3.83 GPA
Prior to joining Tutunjian & Bitetto, P.C., Ms. Paik began her career as a patent prosecution attorney at an Intellectual property law firm in Nassau County. Her work in patent prosecution encompasses the technical fields of biomedical and surgical devices, bioengineering, chemical sciences, biotechnology, and mechanical devices and systems, as well as optics, textile engineering, e-commerce, computer software/hardware systems, mobile and digital communications, information technology, video processing, speech recognition/synthesis systems, network communications and digital media.
- “Patent Reform – Overview of the New Requirements for Post-Grant Review and Inter Partes Review” (The Nassau Lawyer, Focus Issue on Intellectual Property, January 2012)
- Highlights the Patent Law Reform changes enacted in September 2011 on the procedures relating to the newly implemented Post-Grant Review and the revised Inter Partes proceedings.
- “Green Technology Patents: Protecting Innovation” (The Nassau Lawyer, Focus Issue on Intellectual Property, November 2013)
- In recognition of the importance of the development and implementation of green technologies in mitigating climate change, governments around the world have recently acknowledged the value of ‘green patents’ in furthering efficiency, climate protection, green businesses and competitiveness on a global scale.
- New York State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Member
- Board of Directors – Director/Officer November 2012 – December 2014: Accountant Attorney Networking Group, Inc. (AANG)
- Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon Society, Member
- Board of Directors – Member: Long Island Native Plant Initiative, Inc. (LINPI) – an organization dedicated to protecting the genetic integrity and biodiversity of Long Island native plant populations and to propagate and promote locally sourced ecotypic plant materials for use in nursery, landscaping, and habitat restoration on Long Island.
Edward P. Ryan
Ed Ryan is a patent attorney with a background in Physics and has patent experience in a wide array of technological fields. Mr. Ryan performs patent prosecution, trademark prosecution, and litigation both at an administrative level and at the Federal level. Mr. Ryan has argued appeals before United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Appellate Division for the First Department of New York.
Mr. Ryan’s degree in Physics makes him a jack of all trades, with experience in software, electronics, semiconductors, wireless technologies, and mechanical devices. Clients appreciate his ability to quickly understand their technologies at every level and to render them in clear language.
Admitted to the New York State Bar, March 2009
Registered Patent Attorney with the United Stated Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
J.D., FORDHAM UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, 2008
- Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal; Associate Editor
- Murray Award for Public Service, magna cum laude
B.S. PHYSICS, CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY, 2005
- Student Senate, Business Affairs Committee Chairman
- Senior Leadership Award, 2005
Harry A. Hild
Harry Hild is an intellectual property attorney having greater than 10 years of experience counseling clients in the development of intellectual property for companies ranging from innovative startups to companies listed on the Fortune 100. Mr. Hild’s experience includes intellectual property portfolio planning and management; patent application drafting and prosecution; freedom to operate, patentability, and infringement opinion rendering; and preparing intellectual property agreements, such as patent and technology licensing, joint development agreements, and confidentiality agreements. Mr. Hild has also managed the foreign patent portfolio of US corporations, and has participated in European patent oppositions. He is also experienced in patent and trademark litigation.
Mr. Hild has prepared and prosecuted patent applications in a wide variety of chemical, electrical, and mechanical arts, as well as software applications, with a specialty in materials science, nanotechnology, energy, medical devices and microelectronics. Prior to joining Tutunjian and Bitetto P.C., Mr. Hild managed all aspects of the intellectual property portfolio of the automotive divisions of one of the world’s largest aluminum companies.
Mr. Hild is skilled in a broad field of technologies including materials science, chemical engineering, nanotechnology, computers, networking, communications, software, internet technology and electronic commerce. Representative microelectronic disciplines include semiconductors, memory devices, capacitors, plasma/LCD/LED displays and solar cells. Examples of representative materials science disciplines include metallurgy, such as aluminum and steel alloys; lubricants, such as water and oil based automotive lubricants, metal working fluids and oil well drilling mud compositions; ceramic and glass compositions; carbon fiber synthesis and carbon fiber composites; nanotechnology including carbon nanotube synthesis, and applications to optical, mechanical and pressure sensors/devices; as well as polymer compositions and synthesis. Further interests in mechanical/automotive arts including hybrid and electric vehicles, lithium ion battery compositions, as well as powerplant, suspension and brake components for automotive applications.
New York 2003
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW (FORMERLY FRANKLIN PIERCE LAW CENTER)
- Juris Doctor, 2002
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW (FORMERLY FRANKLIN PIERCE LAW CENTER)
- Master of Intellectual Property, 2002
ALFRED UNIVERSITY: NEW YORK STATE COLLEGE OF CERAMIC ENGINEERING
- B.S., Materials Science with a concentration in Ceramic Engineering, 1998
Mr. Melnick has over a decade of technical and management experience with both small and large scale information technology software and hardware companies. As a manager, Mr. Melnick gained experience in contract law, including negotiation skills and interpreting service level agreements. As a law clerk, he acquired litigation skills, including legal research and motion practice. Mr. Melnick has patent prosecution experience in a wide variety of fields, including electronics, computer systems, computing software, biotechnology, and mechanical systems. He has also worked to prevent consumer fraud while serving as an extern for the New York State Office of the Attorney General.
Admitted to New York Bar, September 2013
Registered to Practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J.D. ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, 2012
- Articles and Notes Editor – American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review
B.S., COMPUTER SCIENCE, ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY, 2001
New York State Office of the Attorney General, Brooklyn, NY
Legal Extern. Assisted the Attorney General and staff in all matters including legal researching, drafting memoranda, preparing motions, and prosecution of consumer fraud cases.
Network Administrator, Database Manager, and Service Delivery Manager for various companies, including Hewlett Packard Co. Tasks included negotiating adjustments to service level agreements, managing customer agreements, monitoring contract metrics, database management, and computer hardware, software, and network maintenance.
Cabling Technician. Tasks included installing and maintaining audio, video, and fiber optic based broadcast systems for NBC/Universal.
Mr. Kroczynski is a registered patent attorney who has over 12 years of experience in the field of Patent Prosecution and Litigation with a strong background in chemistry, physics, computer science, and engineering, including artificial intelligence, data mining, telecommunications, and business practices. Mr. Kroczynski’s experience includes drafting and prosecuting patent applications in this broad range of technologies, including, neural networks, semiconductor fabrication and devices, polymers, surfactants, glass compositions and processing, catalytic materials, pollution abatement technologies, manufacturing equipment, home products, medical devices, and business practices.
WORK AND RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
Mr. Kroczynski also has twelve years of industrial experience prior to becoming a patent attorney, including mechanical design and managing a metalworking facility, metal stamping, and pharmaceutical packaging. Mr. Kroczynski conducted graduate research in surface science and thin film depositions at Brookhaven National Laboratory physics and material science departments.
New York, 2009
New Jersey, 2008
District of New Jersey 2008
United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2003
J.D., FORDHAM UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, NEW YORK, NY, 2008
M.ENG., CHEMICAL/POLYMER ENGINEERING, STEVENS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, HOBOKEN, NJ, 2003
M.S., CHEMISTRY, UNIVERSITY OF STONY BROOK, STONY BROOK, NY, 1994
B.S., PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY, MONTCLAIR STATE UNIVERSITY, UPPER MONTCLAIR, NJ, 1991
Theodosios (Theo) Kountotsis is a patent attorney with a background in Electrical Engineering and has patent experience in a wide array of technological fields. Mr. Kountotsis is experienced in all phases of patent prosecution, including intellectual property portfolio planning and management; patent application drafting and prosecution; state-of-the-art investigations; freedom to operate/right-to-use studies; patentability and infringement opinion rendering. Before joining the legal profession, Mr. Kountotsis was an electrical engineer for General Dynamics in Pittsfield, MA working on Trident submarine technology (1999-2002).
Mr. Kountotsis is skilled in a broad field of technologies including telecommunications, networking, control systems, circuits, optics, robotics, nanotechnology, electrical arts, mechanical arts, electromechanical arts, medical devices, computer software, electronic commerce, business methods, cloud computing architectures, semiconductors, memory devices, solar cells, video processing, speech and pattern recognition, and digital media.
Admitted to the Connecticut State Bar, 2008
Admitted to the New York State Bar, 2009
Registered Patent Attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2003
J.D., UNIVERSITY OF DETROIT MERCY SCHOOL OF LAW, 2008
M.S., ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, CUM LAUDE, RENSSELAER POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE, 2002
B.S., ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, MAGNA CUM LAUDE, WESTERN NEW ENGLAND UNIVERSITY, 1999
GASPARE J. RANDAZZO
Mr. Randazzo specializes in Intellectual Property Law. He has extensive and diverse legal and engineering experience, which has enabled him to obtain many valuable patents and trademarks for his clients. Prior to his position with Tutunjian & Bitetto, P.C., Mr. Randazzo interned for a federal judge in the U.S. Federal District Court for the Eastern District of NY and for the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office, as well as worked for various New York Intellectual Property law firms. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Randazzo has worked as an engineer for various companies. His engineering experience includes work on various military projects including the Tomahawk Cruise Missile and the F14A Fighter Aircraft. Mr. Randazzo has secured numerous Patents which read on pervasive industry standards, thus allowing his clients to obtain the benefit of lucrative licensing revenue.
Admitted to bar, New Jersey, 1997; New York, 1998; registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., CUM LAUDE, MAY 1997
TOURO COLLEGE JACOB D. FUCHSBERG LAW CENTER, HUNTINGTON, NY
- Law Review:
- Research Editor, 1996-1997
- Associate Editor, Spring 1996
- Dean’s List: Spring 1996, Fall 1996, Spring 1997
- Touro Academic Excellence Award: Patent Practice, Patent Law, Pre-Trial Litigation
B.S. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, 1990
PRATT INSTITUTE, BROOKLYN, NY
- Principal’s Scholarship
- Dean’s List: Fall 1985, 1987, Spring 1986, 1987
LAW EXPERIENCE & TECHNOLOGY AREAS:
- Legal Intern, U.S. Federal District Court, Eastern District of NY, Uniondale, NY, Honorable Thomas C. Platt
- Legal Intern, Nassau County District Attorney’s Office, Mineola, NY
Complex patent prosecution and counseling in fields of: computer architecture, microprocessors, semiconductor memories, computer software, wireless telecommunications, televisions and other display devices, medical devices and imaging, biometrics, digital and analog signal processing, e-commerce, speech recognition/synthesis, speaker recognition, text recognition, text-to-speech synthesis, video processing/compression/decompression, optical recording technologies, computer network technologies, security, radio controlled toys and vehicles, tires, integrated circuit manufacturing, electronics, electro-mechanical devices, mechanical devices, etc.
PROGRAM MANAGER/TEST-DESIGN ENGINEER, COMPUTER INSTRUMENTS CORP., WESTBURY, NY:
Program Manager for the McDonnell Douglas T-45 Goshawk Trainer Air Data Computer, which involved training and managing personnel, generating manufacturing and testing procedures, and extensive customer interfacing. Qualification testing of the McDonnell Douglas Tomahawk Cruise Missile Air Data Transducer and Grumman F-14A Angle of Attack Differential Pressure Transducer. Printed circuit board design and modification using Orcad and Autocad.
TEST ENGINEER, SUPPORT SYSTEMS ASSOCIATES INC., HAUPPAUGE, NY:
Software development for printed circuit boards under test at Naval Weapons Support Center, utilizing LASAR digital simulation software. Software development included developing a software model of the board to be tested, designing digital test patterns to simulate normal board functioning, and debugging of software.
For questions or information please feel free to contact us at:
Tutunjian & Bitetto, P.C.
401 Broadhollow Road, Suite 402
Melville, NY 11747
T: (631) 844-0080
F: (631) 844-0081